Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rabbit Fur Hat

Winter's here and I'm freezing! I'm packing for Paris tomorrow and look what I found - a fur hat from a flea market in Vienna.

I remember when I bought it. It was the end of the day and amongst the piles of clothing, shoes and general rubbish was this furry hat. I was told it was 5 euros but after the obligatory haggling, I got it for 3 euros.

Went back to the hostel and when I put the hat on my head, I realised it was too small. Should have tried it on first but oh well. Also I could feel plastic mesh inside so I assumed it was a faux fur hat. Still I could'nt throw it away.

Months later, I took it out of my closet, hand washed the lining and put it on my heater to dry. Sharp bits of mesh protruded from the lining when I put it back to shape and that's when I realised I melted the plastic!

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Since I thought I destroyed hat, I unstitched the lining to reveal the shabby mesh and threw it away. It turns out the hat's made from real rabbit fur and there was a stamp inside. (In German, but I could read that it was made in Vienna.)

I put the it on my head and what do you know, it now fits perfectly. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. i have a pet bunny and this hat is cute but real bunny fur hat.. to me the whole thing looks scary LOL.

    http://crazypoplock.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it feels a bit scary, knowing that I'm wearing a rabbit on my head! But my head is cold and I'd hate for that poor animal to die in vain :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails