Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Henna Update-Mixing With Coconut Milk


Check out my henna stash! The Nupur, Ayur Rajastani and Jamila for hair was bought in Australia. I went a bit nuts buying henna. I saw two of the brands featured in superprincessjo's youtube videos and was so happy to not only find them in my neighbourhood in Sydney, I also found Jamila!

The Nupur is in a huge bag and only cost $6.50, the Ayur was $2.60 and the Jamila was $3. How could I resist? Even though I still have henna from Hesh and Top Op to go through.

It's been 9 weeks since my Jamila BAQ treatment and the colour has faded. I decided to try the Hesh henna mixed with coconut milk. There are a few raves about using only coconut milk and I wanted to experiment and see if colour can be released without acid.

I added a little water because I thought the milk would be too oily on it's own. The henna mixture smelt less grassy and the consistency was gelatinous. I tested the henna over a period of six, 12 and 24 hours standing. It had good colour release at 24 hours because the stain is still faint on my hand after a week!

I put the mix in the freezer for a day or two and then I took it out the night before I used it. The mix was in my hair for 5 hours. A tip: a coconut milk mix will loosen when it's warmed on your head so watch out for drips.

The result? Super shiny conditioned hair. All the wonders of henned hair with a burgundy tint. It's browner than red and no way as intense as the Jamila BAQ. I used Red Zinger tea last time so the jury's out on whether it was the mixing ingredient or the Hesh henna. Still it was a great conditioning treatment and I will top up for more red in a few weeks.

Edited to add: It's been two weeks and the henna is still bleeding on to my towels after I've washed my hair. I wonder if it's because of the lack of acid in the mix.

I'd love to hear your recommendations for henna brands!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails