I finally found my Holy Grail of hair moisturisers. It's only made with two ingredients, shea butter and aloe vera gel=shealoe. It smooths down frizz and moisturises hair ends. You can use it as a hand and body moisturiser too.
Shealoe is easy to make it yourself at home. Make small quantities so it doesn't spoil before you've used it up.
I make mine in a clean Lush mask container and that's how it's stored. It only takes five minutes to make. If you don't have a Lush container, any small container will do as long as you can fit a beater from a hand mixer inside with space.
The proportion of ingredients is 1 part shea butter to 1 part aloe vera gel. Keep that in mind when filling the container because you need extra room for whipping. Allow atleast double the space taken on ingredients for whipping.
1) Place 1 part shea butter in the container and microwave until it's just melted. I put it on high for 20 seconds first and keep checking every 10 seconds.
2) Add 1 part aloe vera gel and mix with a hand beater on a slow setting for 30 seconds. Make sure to hold the container firmly or it will splatter everywhere.
3) Ensuring there's enough height on the container to hold everything, whip at a high setting for 3 minutes. Don't whip any longer because the shea butter will solidify and separate in clumps.
4) Tap off the mixture from the beater into the container and let it fully cool before putting the lid on it.
5) Clean off the beater with your fingers and apply to your hair or on your hands. Waste not, want not!
This is what it looks like after the initial mixing on slow.
You can see shea butter particles suspended in the aloe vera.
After a three minute whipping, this is the final product. Creamy and thick like whipped cream.
You can add a few drops of essential oil like tea tree or lavender for preservation and scent. Keep it in a cool place. I use shealoe after every wash and this is the right quantity to make without the need for preservatives.
To use, take a small amount and warm it between your hands before smoothing onto the ends of your hair.
Hope this helps those who want an all natural, cost effective multi purpose moisturiser. This stuff is a life saver for my dry hair.