I suffered hair loss last year. You could even see my scalp from the top of my head! I saw a dermatologist who recommended Rogaine and a hormone blocker. Suffered side effects from both so now I'm back to square one.
My hair is super fine, frizzy and dry. The drier it is, the curlier it gets. I even gave away my hair straightener because I did'nt want to damage my hair anymore.
A colleague suggested massaging my scalp with pure coconut oil to stimulate hair growth. Apparently it is a common for Indians and Polynesians to do this and they typically have thick hair.
So I bought a small bottle of Parachute Coconut Oil. The oil is 100% natural (edible in fact) and cheap from an Indian grocer. This 200ml bottle only cost $3.50 AUD.
Instructions on how to use coconut oil as a hair treatment:
1) Fill a small cup with roughly 50ml of oil, more if you have thick or long hair. You can also mix in some Jojoba oil or a few drops of lavender or rosemary essential oil as they also improve the condition of the hair.
2) Microwave the oil until it's hot as your skin can stand it.
3) Massage oil onto to dry hair starting from the roots to the scalp. Gently massage the scalp for 5 minutes. As you can see in the picture, the drops of oil next to the bottle is liquid so application is messy. You'll need to wear a plastic cape or be naked in the bathroom!
4) Wrap a plastic shopping bag over your hair and head. You can also use a shower cap but I prefer to recycle shopping bags. You can secure them with a peg or hairclip. Yes, you will need to do this in private, away from those who will make fun of you!
5) Leave in for 2-3 hours. Or wear it as an overnight treatment but cover your pillow with a towel just in case.
6) Shampoo out thoroughly. You might need to do this twice to ensure the oil is washed out. Conditioning is not necessary.
Make sure you don't comb/brush your hair until it's dry because I found my hair tangles easy while wet and more hair would fall out.
I noticed that it took longer for my hair to air-dry. Normally it's quick because my hair is so damaged and my bone-dry ends zaps up the moisture!
I was amazed by the results. My hair is softer, shinier and frizz free than ever before. Days later and it becomes even softer! Also my hair is wavy rather than curly now and believe it or not, is LESS greasy.
So guys, I highly recommend coconut oil for hair. It is also good as a cuticle oil or moisturiser. I will be doing this treatment once a week and will post in later to see how it works over time. Hopefully my hair will grow thicker!